Lazy Sunday, Lazy Blog

I haven't wanted to do an entry like this on Chefectomy. The blog is supposed to be clever and witty with some sort of unique travel angle thrown in for good measure. All centered around a food topic I want to write about with an accompanying recipe. A bit of a racy overtone between the sexes seems to get added in as well. Usually more often than not. But March flew by and Spring is here. I felt like I needed to at least put up one posting for the month. I'm a lazy slug.

It's not like I haven't had lots to blog about. I've done more good eating and cooking with blogging inspiration to follow in the last 30 days then I can remember. NOPA. Beretta. Lark Creek Inn. The Slanted Door. All excellent restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area with unique cooking leveraging the best locally grown food you can find anywhere.

I was going to do a whole blog thing on bacon. Who doesn't like bacon. "I am sure I can come up with something clever around bacon" I said to my wife after having some Hobbs Bacon on a sandwich recently. Hobbs has reached near cult status in Marin. Anytime bacon reaches cult status that's got to be worth writing about. And there is an excellent chance that the global financial system is also coming off the rails when such status is reached. I googled "bacon blogs" for a bit of inspiration. Man was I over my head when I saw the results. I Heart Bacon. Bacon Unwrapped. One person even does a recipe devoted TO BACON everyday on The Bacon Show claiming "one bacon recipe per day, every day, forever." How do you compete with that on the cleverness factor? You probably need to become a big executive at AIG. Everyone loves bacon, even highly overpaid insurance executives. But alas - no blog bacon love.

I had delectable burrata cheese on a pizza at Beretta's in the Mission a few weeks ago. If you don't know what this product is, you really need to track it down and try it. It's conceptually like fresh bufalo mozzarella, but really nothing like it when you taste it. It has a flavor that is uniquely creamy and sweet but works against a savory backdrop of virtually any good ingredient. Although delicious, no real blogging inspiration from buratta at Beretta's.

I got over to Bi-Rite Creamery last night after dinner at The Slanted Door in the San Francisco Ferry Building. If you plan on visiting the Golden Gate Bridge (which I am obsessed with), or go to Ghiradelli Square, or take a cable car ride down Powell street to the Embacadero you need to skip all that. Simply head over to the Mission District and order the salted caramel ice cream. It is an ode to deliciousness. Your trip will be complete and considered a success. You need do nothing further other than write and thank me for helping you realize what ice cream is (and isn't). I read some article a month or so ago about how salted caramel had entered the mainstream and this was recognized in the fact that Barack Obama loves the stuff from a specific purveyor up in Seattle. As much of a fan as I am of the President, he needs to duck out of Washington and head over to Bi-Rite for a double scoop. I guarantee you the AIG bonus mess will be a distant memory after this. I suppose I could write a political blog.

So all of this leads me to the posting I am putting up. Not very creative I realize, but it was a beautiful, lazy Sunday in Marin County and we went out to San Rafael Farmer's Market and then for a walk throw our neighborhood in Mill Valley. A few photos to share and hopefully some blogging inspiration will follow...


A neighbor's tulip garden in Mill Valley



Meyer Lemons down the street


California Poppies in our front yard



Organic Strawberries from the San Rafael Farmer's Market

10 comments:

Nicole said...

Lovely photos! And I so understand your laziness in blogging despite actually eating well and having plenty of ammo. I just got back in the game myself. It is hard to keep up sometimes with all that "life" happening each day!

Vinogirl said...

Great, great pics. Spring has definitely sprung in Napa. My tulips are finished but I'm too busy pruning to notice anyway. No time to be lazy, when the vines are ready, they're ready.

Anonymous said...

Salted caramel from Bi-Rite is the bomb! The roasted banana is pretty darn good, too. ;)

Anonymous said...

Spring is surely on the way... so vibrant and bright.... I have a brown thumb but I could deliver myself flowers... lol

michael, claudia and sierra said...

i hate people who live where you live
ok, maybe not hate

but i am insanely jealous...

bacon is soooooo last year. but burrata is forever...

and that ice cream
i want some

although... http://www.cookeatfret.com/dessert/2007/08/18/i-scream-for-salted-butter-caramel/

Nazarina A said...

Marc,
I tend to do the same as well ha! ha!
I love all your spring pics. Wish it was spring already in my neck of the woods. San Fran is such a trip, I hope to go again soon! You would make for a very fun travel companion!

Angela said...

Gosh, your lucky to live in the San Francisco Bay area -- what an abundance of great eats! I know exactly what you mean about being lazy about blogging. Sometimes you just got to live life without writing about it. Tough for us bloggers, I know. Hey, BTW, I'm heading to Rome and Milan next week. Been there? Got any food tips? Cheers!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Sometimes, I also do get inspired to write anything... That' happens to us all.

Anyway, your spring pictures are inspiringly joyful!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Hi Marc!
Burrata is the bomb! How I would love a lemon tree in my yard. I'm so envious :)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Hey, mark! Mona Lisa just got some new burrata in. It is amazing. Don't miss it next time you're in SD!